Thursday, November 4, 2010

It's About Time!

It's about time that I lived up to my name: Blonde in a Book Shop. You would never know how well it fits me, because I have never actually blogged about books.

This afternoon I sat down on my bench at school, children in front of me packed up and ready to go, and I opened up the pages to a book that has touched the imaginations of children for decades, including me. Roald Dahl pulled me into many of his magical stories as a child and I love to share his books as read alouds or even a novel study.

This afternoon was one of those times that I wish I could have captured the scene for all of you to see. It was an afternoon that illustrated so perfectly why I wanted to be a teacher.

As I read about James Henry Trotter and his giant peach, I realized I had nearly hypnotized my audience. My students were all captured by the story and practically leaning forward in anticipation. At one point, I realized two little boys had made their way to my bench and were now sitting on each side of me squeezed in so they could enjoy the book with a closer view.

If you could have only heard my thoughts. "Wow!" was what I thought as I took the moment in. Tomorrow or next week when I am feeling frustrated or fatigued, I will remember that moment again! Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment